Becka lives in Charlottetown, PEI with her husband, Scott Brown and their daughter Meike. As a young girl she lived in Central Queens, Prince Edward Island, and considers herself to have been shaped by the rural landscapes and community driven lifestyle of the green isle.
Viau is motivated by a commitment to making her community a compassionate and inspiring place to live. She believes that clean and safe food, air, water, and soil are key to protecting and nurturing Island prosperity, and that creativity and imagination are integral to innovation and a future where all Canadians thrive.
A graduate of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (Bachelors 2008, Masters 2013,) Becka is a dedicated professional contemporary artist and social catalyst. She is a founding member and program director of this town is small, a non-profit organization dedicated to fostering growth and sustainability in the contemporary arts sector on Prince Edward Island. Thanks to Ms. Viau’s inspiration and curation, islanders and visitors alike are treated to Art in the Open, a signature contemporary art festival showcasing a wide variety of visual artists.
Through both her art and community service, Becka tackles issues of place and identity and how relationships with each are formed. She takes critical and educated approaches and has the courage to stand up for her community, speak up, and most importantly, take action.
Becka Viau is deeply dedicated to the development of a sustainable, creative and socially minded community and, ultimately, a stronger Canada.
- President, The Green Party of PEI (2014 – Current)
- Vice President, Association of Artist Run Centres From the Atlantic (2014 – Current)
- Vice President, Culture PEI (2015 -Current)
- A Bold Vision, PEI’s Bold Visionary (2014)
- Founding Member, this town is small inc. – PEI’s Artist Run Centre (2009-2010)
- Chair, East Coast Music Week – Arts Linkages Committee (2011)
- Vice President, PEI Crafts Council (2009-2010)
- Chair, Gallery at the Guild Programming Committee (2009-2010)
- PEI Coalition for Women in Government
- PEI Working Group for a Livable Income
- PEI Council of the Arts
- Island Food Skills Initiative
- Women’s Network PEI
- Peake Street Studio Collective
- Canadian Crafts Federation
- PEI Reproductive Rights Organization
- PEI Abortion Rights Network
- Kids Help Phone